Sunday, November 24, 2013

{Coffee&Coutre} Just a Little History


I’m sure most of you know or have heard recently that we just past the 50 anniversary of the assassination of JFK. This brought my attention to all of the new coverage and I noticed his wife’s pink outfit the day he died. Since you all know how much I love pink, I decided to do a little research on this outfit, turns out this pink suit holds a lot of history!



First of all, it was technically a Chanel knock off! Since there was a lot of debate about her buying her clothing internationally as a first lady, she decided to have an exact replica of Chanel (exact fabric and everything) made in New York (CNN). I guess that’s one way to make it a win-win outcome. This isn't just a suit she wore the day her husband was assassinated, she wore it 6 other times that year, before November 22, 1963. So just like Michelle Obama and Kate Middleton, she re-wore clothing (Kim Kardashian should take some tips from her, I heard she had a lot of debt because she throws out clothes after one wear!) She also refused to take off the suit when John F. Kennedy’s blood had stained it. She reportedly said “…I’m going to leave these clothes on. I want them to see what they have done.” (E!) When Caroline Kennedy passed in 2003, she gave this pink suit to the people of the United States asking that it not be displayed for 100 years. CNN says, “The archive has the suit stored in a windowless vault, in an acid free container, where the air is changed three times an hour to properly maintain the wool and cloth. It is kept at a temperature of 65 to 68 degrees, which is best for the fabric.” So it sounds like the suit is in better conditions than the middle class worker! I can’t imagine how people will react in 2113 when the blood stained suit is revealed.



On a much brighter note, I realized this must be the significance of the pink suit Reese Witherspoon wore in Legally Blonde! Now if you all knew this already I don’t want to hear it! I feel like I just made a revelation and while I will never be someone to willingly put on a suit, I love this pink suit even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment