Sunday, December 1, 2013

Black Friday Madness

Happy December everyone! If you've been following my blog you know I'm coming off a long stressful week! I'm so happy its December! Its that magical time of year! I've enjoyed my day off by dressing my dog in ugly Christmas sweaters and watching Christmas movies!

It's hard to see but that is a reindeer on his sweater!

If you read my Thanksgiving post post and my survival tips for a stressful week you'd know even though I had to work on Thanksgiving and Black Friday I was feeling alright about it. I was at peace with the fact that its not the end of the world and it'll be fun, since the people I work with always make crazy shifts like that fun! However, I cannot express how disappointed I was, not with anyone I worked with, but with the people shopping on "Brown Thursday" and Black Friday. Last year I also worked on Thanksgiving into Black Friday, and I can honestly say I only saw one person who was extremely rude. This past holiday however, I left work mentally defeated and really hating people as a whole. People made the rudest comments to me and my coworkers when we were honestly only trying to help them. We were called horrible names and spoken to in inhumane ways. One lady was upset because her young daughter, who was holding her spot in line, got out of line (who can blame her? She was just a little kid!). This woman got so upset she sped to the front of the line. Now, I was patrolling the line talking to people while they waited, helping them in any way I could, making sure people didn't cut, and keeping the line organized and moving quickly. I saw this woman speeding to the front of the line so I asked her if I could help her, thinking she was going to cut in line. She just looked at me, started screaming "NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!" and walked past me pumping her arms so hard her knuckles caught my knuckles and it honestly really hurt! She continued to the front of the line, threw down her paper towels and basket of items and just made a scene, yelling and pointing and the employee who was at the front of the line! Once she was done throwing a temper tantrum she picked up her stuff and went to the next open cashier. 


It amazes me that saving $5 on a crackpot will make people go that insane! And I know my personal story is tame compared to others I have heard. A store near the one I work at said many of their employees were spit on by customers. Spit on. What would even bring someone to do that? People forget that this is our job. Nobody comes into your office when you're working and spits on you. That's disgusting. There are also so many news articles reporting stabbings, shootings, people getting shoved, getting hit, getting hurt. I am appalled at what people will do to save a few bucks. 


Not only is the violence shocking and horrendous, but it happens on a national holiday now! I don't know about you but I used to love getting up at 5 in the morning on Black Friday and waiting in line to shop. Looking back it seems tame and almost innocent. People were excited, but I never remember hearing about death or extreme violence. Now people leave their Thanksgiving dinners early or miss them all together to wait in line. I think the difference between last year and this year is that people missed their Thanksgiving dinner. Last year stores opened late enough for families to still get together, have a good time, and then still wait in line. This year stores opened too early for that. I truly think people were so angry because they missed their Thanksgiving dinners because they wanted the sales. And its a vicious circle because retail companies make their sales, and think their customers like them opening early because of the money they spend, so next year they're just going to open earlier, and then earlier, until stores are opening at midnight on Thanksgiving morning. Stores are hardly open on Christmas day, or Easter day. Why would stores be open on Thanksgiving day, a national holiday? They should make a law that stores cannot open on Thanksgiving Day. People will be happier all around. Except for maybe the corporations but we cant let corporations run the world, now can we?

If you like this article please follow my blog. However, if you love this article please share! 

No comments:

Post a Comment